Going Back to Godhead - Srila Prabhupada
How to Go Back to Godhead
The ultimate goal of life for every living entity is to go back Godhead, to reassume one's eternal loving relationship with the supreme personality of Godhead, to return to the place and position we have all come from. Over time, however, due to material allurement, attachment, and a desire to lord it over, or to "enjoy life" as masters rather than humble servants, we have left the spiritual world, and progressively become entangled in the material universe and all its sufferings. There are many steps we can take, in order to rekindle our love and eternal loving relationship with God. Remembrance, association, and purification are essential ingredients. So we might ask, where to start? Here are some suggestions.
Read the Bhagavad-Gita.
Receive instruction from a bona fide spiritual master.You can visit prabhupadavani (link below) for examples of classes by Prabhupad, as well as links to a variety of very relevant content.
Listen to, and chant, the prescribed purificatory mantra for this age, the Maha-mantra.It is composed of 16 words, repeated in succession - Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare - Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.
- Chanting can be done congregationally or individually. The idea is to chant as much, and as regularly, as possible.
- Individual chanting on prayer beads is recommended; 108 sequences of the mantra compose a full cycle on the prayer beads. Each cycle represents one round. Gradually increasing chanting to 16 rounds daily is considered the necessary minimum standard to progress towards bhakti (spontaneous devotion). It takes about 2.5-3.0 hours to chant 16 rounds, at a pace demonstrated by Prabhupad, about 11:30 minutes per round. You can find a sample at .
- Any number of rounds is beneficial.
Be respectful.It is best to be attentive and respectful while chanting. Avoiding offences is an important consideration.
Be up early.Morning hours are considered especially beneficial and are particularly recommended. For example, daily chanting of the Maha-mantra, from 5 am to 7 am, out loud, on beads, can nicely become part of one's daily routine.
QuestionAre you an atheist or a Christian? You can't be both, you can't be a Christian and believe in evolution.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can be a Christian without being a Young Earth Creationist. Evolution in itself does not say where life came from, just how it developed into its present form. Many Christians (and people from other religions) believe that God chose to use evolution when creating earthly life. The idea of science and Christianity being separate is a very recent thing - for thousands of years, the best scientists (such as Isaac Newton) were religious and knew that they were glorifying God by learning as much as they could about His creation.Thanks!
- Some benefits of peace: inner peace, reduced agitation, better understanding, enthusiasm for engaging in service. You'll be much more aware of God's presence in your life, no matter your religion.
- Focus the mind, chant as much and as regularly as possible, in an audible, relaxed manner, with emphasis on attention and pronunciation - engaging the voice and ears in the process.
- Regular and attentive practice, while gradually increasing the quality and quantity of one's chanting.
- Commitment to purity, truthfulness, cleanliness and austerity is beneficial.
- Applying regulative principles to one's life, with particular attention to four key areas:
- 1) abstaining from gambling, as well as speculation, envy, and greed;
- 2) avoiding unnecessary disturbance and violence towards all living entities - rejecting the slaughter of animals for the purpose of meat eating;
- 3) avoiding the use, and exposure, to intoxicants such as nicotine, alcohol, caffeine; and
- 4) avoiding lusty desires, and unnecessary and sexual arousal; engaging in sexual activity only within the context of marriage, in order to engender and raise God/Krishna conscious children.
Things You'll Need
You may want to order Japa beads. Chanting along with a master should be very helpful. You can find a download or an example online or order yourself an entire kit which includes beads, instructions, "Japa Tape". Use an internet search engine to help you to locate these items.
Video: The Way To Go Back To Godhead by Srila Prabhupada (SB 01.02.16) on August 19, 1972, Los Angeles
Amy Schumer plays yet another shallow New Yorker with self-esteem issues in I Feel Pretty, but it seems that with each starring role, the characters become more pitiful and the life lessons more corny
Elizabeth and James SpringSummer 2015 Collection – New York Fashion Week
Ive Fallen and I Can get Up
How to Install vShare
20 Awesome Indoor Workouts to Try Before Winter’s Over
How to Fix a Fake Tan
How Positive Self-Talk Can Help You Manage Type 2 Diabetes
Study: The most lethal places to take a selfie
IPhone Storage Hacks: The Easy Way To Make More Space
7. Save Points for a Rainy Day