10 Most Horrifying Wedding Disasters Ever
The 10 Most Horrifying Beauty Disasters of 2015
New beauty trends and treeatments can be fun to try (see us in !), but sometimes, sketchy DIY regimens and even salon-approved treatments can be seriously risky. This year, unfortunately, many girls faced major issues like burns and swelling from all kinds of beauty products. Here are the 10 most terrifying cases.
1. A black henna tattoo burned a teen's skin.
16-year-old Mary Bates was vacationing in Turkey when she decided to get a dreamcatcher henna tattoo. Soon her skin started flaking off and bleeding, revealing an open wound. It turns out the henna artist had used black henna, instead of traditional brown henna, which contains a dangerous chemical called p-paraphenylenediamine. Black henna is a synthetic coal tar dye and is not FDA-approved. Now Mary has to take extra care to protect her skin in the sun and she can't color her hair, because the chemicals could react badly with her wound and cause her to go into anaphylactic shock. Beware of black henna tattoos.
2. Halloween contacts may have partially blinded this girl for life.
In celebration of Halloween, Leah Carpenter, 17, and her powderpuff football team decided to dress up as zombies. After wearing colored contacts for the look, Leah woke up with her eye swollen shut. It turns out that the contact had ripped off the top layer of her cornea, leaving her partially blind in that eye, possibly for life. Even though it's fairly easy to buy costume contacts, it's illegal to sell them without a prescription for exactly this reason.
3. Users report WEN hair cleanser caused their to fall out in clumps.
The popular hair cleansing conditioner WEN Hair Care by Chaz Dean is under fire after hundreds of customers have reported hair loss. The brand is currently being sued by 200 women in 40 different states because the hair solution caused "significant hair loss to the point of visible bald spots, hair breakage, scalp irritation, and rash," according to the Daily Beast. No one knows yet what chemical is responsible for the crazy reaction. Scary.
4. A bold brow treatment burned a teen's eyebrows off.
After trying to get fab brows, 19-year-old Polly Smith now faces permanent facial scarring. She got her brows waxed, threaded, and dyed at a salon, but soon after, her eyebrows turned red and began to itch. By the next morning, they had become so swollen that she could hardly open her eyes. Polly saw a doctor and found out that she was allergic to the dye they used. Her brows began falling out and she fears it will affect her acting career.
5. A compact makeup mirror set this girl's desk on fire.
Beauty addict Kasey Ault, 20, came home from work to find her bedroom filled with smoke and the contents of her desktop charred. After unplugging all her household appliances, Kasey realized that it wasn't a curling iron or straightener that caused the fire – it was her makeup mirror. She had left it sitting in the sun and the light reflected off of the mirror to start a fire on her desk, which luckily was contained and didn't cause much damage. Definitely make sure you stow away your makeup mirror before leaving your house from now on.
6. A YouTuber's beauty blender was infested with bugs.
YouTuber Stevie Miller made a after finding some small holes in her new beauty blender sponge. She couldn't figure out why her brand new blender had suddenly gotten holes in it, so she documented the process of cutting open the sponge to find the culprit, which turned out to be an ENTIRE FAMILY OF BUGS.Ewwwwwwww!
7. A severe allergic reaction to hair dye causes a teen's face to swell.
Hair dye allergies are apparently a big problem, as another girl has faced an intense reaction to the chemicals. After going to her normal salon for color, she experienced serious swelling on her face and scalp. Even though she had gotten the treatment before at the same salon, this time her skin reacted poorly for some unknown reason. The girl has since vowed to never dye her hair again, and we don't blame her! Yikes.
8. A YouTuber's face mask tutorial burned fans' faces.
Popular lifestyle vlogger/French YouTuber Marie Lopez, or EnjoyPhoenix, shared a DIY face mask recipe with her millions of viewers, recommending a mixture of kitchen items like bananas, chocolate, and cinnamon. But it turns out cinnamon can be toxic when applied directly onto the skin. Comments began pouring in, complaining that the mask made their skin burn when viewers tried it at home. (NOTE: Before you try on any type of new beauty product it's a good idea to test out on a small patch of skin first.)
9. An eyelash curler chopped off Miley's eyelashes.
Like all of us, Miley Cyrus wants bigger, bolder lashes, but when she attempted to amp up her lash game, she accidentally cut off a chunk of her lashes. Normally, eyelash curlers are a safe bet, but if you don't clean off the old mascara from previous uses it can cause your lashes to stick and even be ripped out. Curl cautiously, ladies.
10. Nail polish destroyed peoples' nails.
After wearing Mentality nail polish, users started having some seriously scary reactions. Some developed onycholysis, which causes your nails to peel away from the nail bed.
Video: Top 10 Concert Tragedies and Mishaps
5 Ways To Wear Tailored Shorts
18 Fresh Faces in Music You Need to Know
Caitlyn Jenner Will Attend the ESPYS With All Her Kids
How to Lose Weight Fast in 5 Simple Steps
5 Hairstyles That Look Way Better on Dirty Hair
How to Use There, Their and Theyre
Food Desert Action: Getting Fruits and Vegetables to Nutritionally Deprived Communities
Why Teens Get Hooked on Smoking
An A-Z guide to hormones
Riverdale Season 2 Episode 19 Brought the Drama
How to Adjust Your Cabinet Drawers
How to Make Fennel, Broccoli and Potato Bake
Vitafol Nano Reviews
How to Break a Habit